Tuesday, June 4, 2013

mended



I've had this book out from the library twice recently, Mend it Better, I think it's time that I actually purchase it to have on hand. It's a really great resource, covering all sorts of mending techniques and different ways of extending the life of your clothes. Inspired by some examples in the book I took to mending in a creative way a pair of $0.50c thrifted pants.


The pants are the right size for mr A, perfect for preschool I thought when I picked them up for $0.50c, but with a big slash to one leg I originally thought I'd cut them off and hem them as shorts. After reading Mend it better I thought maybe go for something a bit more "out there"


I used some visoflix to the back of the rip and then just went a little crazy with stitching! The other knee area looked like it would rip soon too, so I did a little crazy stitching on that too! Along with some backing fabric to stabilize the area.


Probably not to every body's taste, but mr A loves it! His favourite colour is red, just like his mum so he was easily won over. Hopefully they'll last the Winter and then come Summer I'll probably cut them off, hem them and turn them into shorts. 

7 comments :

  1. ha, that looks brilliant! although i don't swe as in making clothes, i am big on mending (but not terribly proficient at it). defo going to look that book up x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your mending! It looks just like sachiko, Blue x

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice work :) I love mending. especially darning, a new skill that super excites me. Will have to check out this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work I do love it
    I'm looking out for that book now

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very clever! what a nifty little book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! and you've made a win right there with you're little boys seal of approval :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh, I love that you used the mending to embellish...mend and be proud I say! Must look up that book. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.