Sunday, August 14, 2011

new week

I really don't know what went wrong this week, it started off so well. I've been trying hard to keep on top of domestic duties, like clearing the bench of all dishes before bed and organising dinner early or better still in the crock pot. It's a nice feeling to start the day with a clean bench and the morning seems to go so much better. The start of the week went well, bench cleared, washing hung out and put away (rather than just left in a heap on the couch or in a basket) dinner in the crock pot for the first few days = very little dinner dishes to complete, I was feeling quite smug about how organised I was becoming. Then snap, come Wednesday it all turned to custard and quite quickly. By Thursday there was washing everywhere, I found myself making breakfast amongst dirty dishes and also the clean ones that I hadn't put away. I cut up some grapefruit and soaked it overnight to make some marmalade, then discovered that I just couldn't fit the cooking in and had to pop it in the fridge till the following day( I hoped). The dishwasher was empty, but no dirty dishes seemed to be making it in, I was quickly running out of bench space all together. Then Mr A headed outside, ignoring all the mess, we made the most of some sunshine and got to work in the garden, planting and digging together (and mr A, pulling out the plants I'd just planted).

The thing with the housework is it NEVER ends, there will always be more dishes, dinners to cook, washing to fold and toilets to clean. But there won't always be sunshine to garden with your two year old, working together in some winter sunshine. A new week lies ahead, maybe I might be more organised and have a clean and tidy bench or maybe I might just leave it and make the most of some sunshine instead.

I did get around to finish making some marmalade and also some lemon curd, but the bench was a total mess when I'd finished, that's why they are cooling on the windowsill!

6 comments :

  1. your post sounds like the story of my life..it's great that you can leave it all to spend precious time with your family..and the marmalade looks very happy with the view out of the window!..jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is so important to recognise that the mess will always be there but the joyful days with our babies won't...I spent years apologising for the state of my house (and that was when it was pretty good!) but now I don't apologise for anything, as long as the hygiene bit is sorted, my family and friends come first, my creative soul comes second and the cleaning fits in whatever time is left. I read one of those silly posters once that said "nobody ever said on their death-bed, I wish I spent more time cleaning..." and I think maybe it wasn't so silly! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Te hee.....story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I have a tile hanging over my main entrance door. It says: "This house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy." :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love staeting the day with a clan bench but it never happens. There ar always going to be more dishes to wash so I just let them go sometimes. There's some things that won't wait, like kids and misters and crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your last week sounds like my this week! Hope things went better for you this time round...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it makes my day! - I try and reply by email, so it's great if your email is connected to your account.